Have you ever had those days where you’re starving your ass off, got no money to buy food or let alone a takeaway and you’ve pretty much got nothing left in your fridge?
We’ve all experienced those times and they’re pretty dire and depressing. I was pretty much in that predicament not long ago cos I’ve been doing exams and hadn’t had time to go shopping. All I had in the fridge was a pack of bacon, some peppers and a few jars of sauce. Now, I wasn’t prepared to start eating spoonfuls of sauce so I had to make do with what I had around the house and cook something up. Simple right? YES, even you can do it if you follow my simple recipe below! ;D
(Preparation/Cooking time: 30-45 minutes, Difficulty Level: 3 – S’Alright)
- Spaghetti/Pasta/Penne/Fuseli (Your Choice or whatever you have left lying around)
- Olive Oil (3-4 tbsp)
- Egg (Optional)
- Parsley (Optional)
1) Pre-heat the oven to 200°C-250°C.
2) Cut peppers in half and clean the inside, ensuring to remove the seeds and stem.
3) Place on a baking tray, coat it in oil, sprinkle some salt on outside and inside and place into oven to bake for 10-15 minutes or until soft and skin is blistering.
4) Boil water, season with salt and boil your spaghetti until ‘Al Dente’, i.e. Just a little bit before they’re fully cooked and still chewy and firm when you bite into it.
5) Drain spaghetti and run a bit of cold water through it to stop them from overcooking.
6) Chop the bacon up into pieces, i.e. a size which you would like to chow down on in spaghetti.
7) Peel and slice the onions and finely chop the garlic.
8) Remove peppers from the oven and place them into a plastic bag and seal tightly for 5 minutes to steam off the skin to be removed more easily later.
9) Place bacon, onions and garlic into a deep pan/wok and cook until slightly golden brown.
10) Whilst, bacon is cooking, remove the peppers and peel off the skin ensuring to take as much of it off as possible (You don’t want them buggers sticking in between your teeth).
11) Chop peppers into thin slices and add to pan.
12) Add the spaghetti to pan, pour in the olive oil and toss through until hot/warm, then remove from heat.
13) For a nice glossy finish to your spaghetti, whisk an egg in a bowl and toss it through your spaghetti until everything is nicely coated. (Remember to mix quickly and do it off the heat to stop the egg from cooking and scrambling).
14) Garnish with fresh parsley, serve and Enjoy!