Peri peri chicken. Yeh I know you love it, we all do, from the finger lickin goodness from Nandoes to the ones from our local chicken shop. But why not try make it at home? We’re gonna make it in the oven so it’ll be healthier than sticking it on the BBQ, but we’re not compromising on the taste here. It’s gonna taste just as good and even juicier.
Buuuttt, you can stick it on the BBQ if you want 😉
Let’s get started!
(Preparation/Cooking time: 1 Hour, Difficulty Level: 3 – S’Alright)
- Whole Chicken
- Canned Chopped Tomatoes
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Chilli Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Mixed Herbs
- Onions (Roughly Sliced)
- Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- Paprika/Cayenne (Powder)
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
1) Pre heat the oven to 200°C-240°C
2) Start by cleaning the chicken. Cut off excess skin such as the bits near the neck and the flaps near the butt aaannnddd the butt….
3) Place on chopping board and flip it over onto its breast.
4) Take a sharp pair of scissors and cut the chicken along its spine from the bottom to the head.
5) Generously sprinkle on salt and pepper on both sides, then open the chicken up and lay it flat, breast side down.
6) In a bowl put together all the marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- I decided to add some sliced peppers in as well for more flavour.
- Also, if you have a blender, you can put the marinade ingredients and blitz it up until you get a paste which you can lather all over the chicken a lot more easily.
7) Once all the marinade is combined, pour onto the chicken and rub it in until all the nooks and crannies are covered.
8) Place into the oven to cook for about 15-20 minutes depending on what size it is.
9) Once done flip it over, breast side up, and use a spoon to baste/coat the surface with the marinade.
- Make sure everything is well coated.
10) Place back into the oven to cook until skin is slightly crispy and the juices in the chicken runs clear.
11) Once done, remove from oven, chop it up into your desired pieces.
12) Serve and Enjoy!