Here’s another refreshing salad to keep you full and cool this summer.
Again, this one’s incredibly healthy, light and easy to muster up with minimal ingredients. Try it! You’ll be amazed by how a few ingredients can make such a lovely dish.
(Preparation/Cooking time: 20 Minutes, Difficulty Level: 2 – Easy)
- Bacon (For a vegetarian option, replace the bacon with your favourite cheese or Tuna)
- Apples (Any will do, but maybe try to use crunchier apples)
- Garlic (Roughly Chopped)
- Lemon Juice.
- Parsley (Optional)
- Shallow Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Small Sauce Pan
1) Start by cutting the bacon up into little chunks.
2) Throw the bacon in a cold pan and turn on to medium heat.
- Starting from a cold pan helps render out the fat. Basically, makes the bacon crispy later. Scrummy!
- Remember to toss once in a while to stop it from burning.
3) Whilst bacon is cooking, remove the outer pieces of the celery and wash and separate the core.
- (Optional) Keep some of the leaves for garnish later.
4) Pass the celery through the grater or, if you are good with a knife, slice into really thin strips.
5) Wash and remove the core of the apple, then pass it through the grater.
6) Throw both the apple and celery into the mixing bowl and add some lemon juice to stop it oxidising, i.e. turning brown and horrible.
7) In the pan, when the water has evaporated from the bacon, add a 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and throw in the garlic and toss until slightly golden.
8) Once bacon and garlic is cooked, pour everything into the mixing bowl.
9) Toss the whole salad and season to taste with salt and pepper.
10) Boil some water in a kettle.
11) Once boiled pour into the saucepan, turn onto medium heat and pour in one cap of vinegar.
12) When the water is simmering (Not boiling) break the egg into it and let it poach for 30-40 seconds.
13) Once done, remove the egg and place on kitchen towels to drain.
14) Place your salad onto a plate and carefully top it with your poached egg.
15) Drizzle over a little bit more olive oil, salt and pepper and lemon juice/vinegar.
16) (Optional) Garnish with some celery leaves and parsley.
17) Serve and Enjoy!