Wowee! Busy week this week! First its Valentines Day, now its Shrove Tuesday or Pancake day…whatever you want to call it and then its gonna be Chinese New Year! I can’t keep up O.o
Anyhoo, pancakes! The one time of the year where we British get very British and dedicate a whole day to eating pretty much nothing but pancakes. So, why not give you guys a pancake recipe?
So, we all know the usual pancakes, light fluffy ones with loads of syrup and butter or the more delicate French style crepes with toppings and other scrummy whatnots. But, I wanted something different. Something more interesting and fun. So why not put my own usual personal twist to pancakes?
Thus, I present to you my ‘Grilled Pancake Sandwiches’ or ‘Grilled Pandwiches’!?! Basically, an American grilled cheese sandwich, but with pancakes instead and my own choice of 3 types of fillings for your enjoyment. XD
Yes, I know I said Pancake day was a British tradition and my recipe is technically American inspired…but oh well, who cares really. They are cheap to make, sooper easy to do and sooper tasty and that’s all I really care about! So give it a go and Enjoy!
(Prep/Cooking time: 30mins – 1 Hour , Difficulty Level: 2 – Easy, Cost: ££ – Cheap)
~ Pancakes (Yields about 6-8 pancake sandwiches):
- Plain Flour/Self Raising Flour (2 Cups)
- Eggs (3-5)
- Milk ( 1½-2 Cups)
- Baking Powder ( 1½ tsps)
- Unsalted Butter/Sunflower Oil/Spray Oil
- Pinch of Salt
~ Breakfast Pancake Sandwich:
- Cream Cheese
- (Optional) Syrup
~ Vegetarian Option Sandwich:
(Suitable for Vegetarians)
- Mushrooms (Roughly sliced/chopped)
- Garlic (Finely Diced)
- Grated/Sliced/Crumbled Cheese (Any kind/Your favourite kind)
~ Classic Nutella & Banana Sandwich:
(Suitable for Vegetarians)
- Bananas (Sliced)
- Peanut Butter
If you are allergic to nuts or peanuts at all, you can substitute the Nutella with some normal chocolate spread and the Peanut Butter with some Jam or you could try using mini marshmallows/cut up marshmallows and basically making a pancake s’more!!!
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Shallow Frying Pan
- Large lid that fits frying pan/another large pan
- Oven Tray
~ Directions for Pancakes:
1) In your large mixing bowl start by dumping in your flour, your baking powder and a pinch of salt and give it a light mix.
2) Next, break in 3-5 eggs (depending on how eggy you like them to taste) and ½ cup of milk and whisk together into a thick paste, ensuring you try to get as many of the lumps out as possible.
3) Once, roughly combined slowly add the rest of the milk until you get a sort of thick pancake mix consistency.
- Adding the milk slowly in steps helps reduce the chance of lumps as it is easier to whisk out any lumps from a thick mix than from a thin mix.
- You can also whisk it vigorously to get a little extra air into them to make them lighter and fluffier and also it helps produce some gluten which makes it a little chewier and bouncy to eat.
4) Stand for about 15-20 minutes for the mixture to combine.
- You can prep your filling during this time if you want.
5) To cook your pancakes, turn your pan onto medium heat and with a folded up kitchen towel rub a light layer of butter onto the surface.
- Do this after every batch of pancakes.
- If you don’t want to use butter for health reasons or other, you can do this step but substitute the butter with some sunflower oil instead or you can just use a can of spray oil.
6) When the pan feels hot, give your mix a light and quick whisk and ladle it into your pan into whatever size you want your sandwiches to be.
7) Cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the top doesn’t look wet and runny, then flip and cook for another minute.
8) Once done, take them off the pan and set aside for later.
~ Directions for Breakfast Pancake Sandwich:
1) Lay out your bacon on an oven tray and grill it until nice and crispy or whatever texture you like your bacon to be.
2) Next, on one of your pancakes spread a generous amount of cream cheese on it.
3) Place some of your bacon on top of the cheese and put another pancake on top to make a sandwich.
4) In a pan, fry an egg to however you like it.
- I prefer mine sunny side up, so check out my post on how to get the Perfect Sunny Side Egg if you like it like that as well.
5) On high heat in a pan, lay your sandwich cream cheese side up and give it a quick toast for about 30-40 seconds.
6) Carefully flip it over (so the cream cheese pancake is on the bottom), take off the top slice of pancake, place your egg on top of the bacon, put the slice of pancake back on top of it and cook for another 30-40 seconds.
7) Once done, remove from pan. Serve and Enjoy!
- If you fancy it instead of the cream cheese, follow the directions whilst omitting the cheese step and then drizzle some syrup on top of your sandwich when it is done.
~ Directions for Vegetarian Sandwich:
1) In your frying pan, with a little bit of oil and on medium heat, lightly fry off your garlic.
2) Once they are very light brown, throw in your mushrooms, give it a quick toss and turn onto high heat.
3) When the mushrooms look softened and a lot of moisture has come out of it, throw in your spinach, give it another quick toss and place your lid on top to wilt it.
4) Once your spinach is wilted, take off the lid, throw in some salt and pepper to taste, and blast it on high heat to remove most of the water.
5) Turn off the heat once most of the water is evaporated and set aside.
6) Take a pancake and spoon on some of the spinach mix on top.
7) Top the spinach with a handful of cheese and place another pancake on top.
8) On high heat, place your sandwich cheese down into your pan and cook until it is melted.
9) Once melted flip it over to heat the other side up for about 30-40 seconds.
10) When it is done, take it off the heat and Serve and Enjoy!
~ Directions for Nutella & Banana Sandwich:
1) Start by spreading Nutella on one side of one pancake and Peanut Butter on one side of another pancake.
2) Spread some bananas on either one and close up the sandwich with the other.
3) On high heat, place your sandwich in your pan and cook for about 30-40 seconds on either side or until the Nutella is nice and gooey and runny and the bananas are nice and soft.
4) Take it off the heat when done.
5) Serve and Enjoy!
So, there you have it! My trio of Grilled Pandwiches (I gotta trademark that ^.^)! Hope you enjoy it and have fun making it! Happy Pancake Day and Shrove Tuesday!
I’ve also entered this dish into Fiesta Friday over at The Novice Gardener along with many other wonderful blogs and recipes from other bloggers. So come take a look at the wonderful food that is being served at the party and support others by having a look at their stuff and giving them a like!